Broomhaugh & Riding Parish Council
Minutes of the Parish Council meeting held on 11th June 2007 in the Supper room of the Parish Hall at 7.45pm
Present: Councillors Horton, Nitsch, Dunhill and Howey. Also present were County Councillor Thompson, 8 members of the public and a member of the press.
1. Apologies were received from Cllr Latham, Cllr Heslop, and Cllr Cairns.
2. Minutes: The minutes of the previous meeting were agreed as a true record.
3. Play Park: There was some discussion about the problem of removing the moss and grass from the specialised Playpark surface. It is just out of its warranty and the suppliers recommend a warm water, high pressure hosing. It was agreed that the councillors would get together and do the job themselves. The village hall trust would be informed as the water used could have a cost implication for them which the Parish Council can reimburse.
4. Mobile Speed signs: A proposal had been received from Slaley Parish Council to share the costs, with some other Parish Councils of mobile speed warning signs. Cllr Dunhill mentioned the Italian system where a traffic light turns red and stops drivers if they exceeded the limit. It was felt this was unlikely to happen in England. There was concern that the proposed scheme would only be a part time solution and it was agreed that, for now, the Parish Council would continue with pressing for a Zebra Crossing. It would be raised with Dick Fraser of the County Council again and costs would be obtained from Mr Bawn for comparison.
5. Quarry stones: There were now two quotes available for purchasing large stones to prevent parking on the Japanese Knotweed site in Millfield Road. One seems high so it was agreed to check the other quote which had been obtained a while back to see which was best. A decision would then be made. A request for reflective paint on the steps to the tennis courts was made and Cllr Nitsch offered a can of such paint he had to try out. The cost of a small light to place at low level on the fence by the steps past the Play park would also be investigated.
2007/0424 Burn Brae, Long Rigg Conditional permission
2007/0380 Demolition of haulage garage etc. east of Ford Terrace: conditional permission granted.
a) General, for circulation
b) Code of Conduct: The new Code of conduct was formally adopted by the Parish Council. This would enable the Parish’s name to be added to the formal legal notification that was required in the Press which Tynedale Council would do for all parishes.
c) Safety mirrors: Cllr Heslop had raised the possibility of having these at both exits from Wentworth Grange onto the A695. Following an approach to the County, they cannot place these within the highway boundary. However, if permission can be obtained from the relevant landowners to site them, the County would quote for supply and fixing. It was agreed to ask Cllr Heslop to follow this up.
d) The WI had asked if they should arrange for grass to be cut around the planters at the East end of the village for a small charge. The Councillors felt they could do both planter areas for now.
e) Tynedale Council: Tynedale Council are to hold a Parish Council Forum at which a number of their division heads would be available to make presentations and answer questions. The date clashed with the next Parish Council meeting but it was agreed that Cllr Howey should attend on behalf of the parish council.
a) The financial statement and receipts were accepted by all councillors
b) The following payments were authorised by all councillors:-
M F Anderton/Salary/May – £352.42
M F Anderton/Expenses/May – £102.76
Viking/stationary – £48.97
Carter bus.systems(P/C) – £17.37
V.Thompson/Wendy Robe – £48.46
Northumbria water – £12.92
c) Accounts: These were agreed for the end of the year to 31st March 2007.
d) Governance statement: The governance statement was agreed Points 1-8 as Yes. Point 9 is not applicable. A copy of the statement is appended to the minutes.
f) Risk analysis: This was approved for the current year by the council.
9. Minor matters:
Cllr Howey will continue with the Playpark inspections. New data sheets would be provided. Cllr Howey will also go through the neighbourhood watch material during the summer recess. Some of the trees at the Wellington need attention and the owners would be written to about it.
The meeting closed at 8.50